Top 5 Dog-Friendly Neighbourhoods in Toronto
Every dog companion’s dream in Toronto is to have a backyard oasis to call their own. But, this isn’t always possible for those of us who live in apartments or townhouses. Fortunately, the city is filled with more than enough dog-friendly parks, beaches and trails to keep your furry friend happy and tuckered out.
Did you know that Toronto is one of the world’s dog-friendliest cities? Whether you’re out on the beach with your pooch or taking them for a long walk through Toronto’s many trails, there are countless ways to share quality time with your canine buddy. All you have to do is be in the know as to where the best dog-friendly neighbourhoods are.
These are our top five picks:
1 – Riverdale
This neighbourhood deserves a place on this list because it’s where you find two of Toronto’s most popular dog parks: Riverdale Park West and Riverdale Park East. These parks are quite extensive and have no fencing. In other words, your dog can run to its heart’s content.
Besides being home to two large parks, Riverdale is also close to Withrow Park and Broadview Park. If you’re looking for an urban setting with plenty of green space for your pup to explore, this neighbourhood is a “can’t miss” opportunity.
Things to Do with Your Dog in Riverdale
• Play fetch with your pup in a large off-leash area of Withrow Park
• Go for a hike through the extensive trail network in Riverdale Park East
• Walk around the charming streets of this bustling neighbourhood
2 – Liberty Village
If you’re planning a move to the city, Liberty Village offers the perfect combination of an urban and pet-friendly environment. This neighbourhood is home to a pet hospital and a few grooming parlours. That alone shows you why it’s a fancied dog-friendly neighbourhood.
With the majority of its residents being pet owners, it’s no wonder Bill Johnston Park was built. The small yet well-maintained park is fully fenced and has plenty of trees for shade. Best of all, there’s a designated on-leash area for you and your dog.
Things To Do with Your Dog in Liberty Village
• Enjoy a meal with your pup at one of many dog-friendly restaurants and bars in the neighbourhood
• Shop for dog supplies at a handful of pet stores in the area
• Take your dog to the off-leash area at Trinity Bellwoods Park, which is just an eight-minute drive
3 – Leslieville
If you and your canine buddy love the beach, Leslieville is the perfect neighbourhood for you. The nearby Cherry Beach has an off-leash and swimming area for dogs, plus several dining options along the way. Rest assured, most restaurants and bars in the area are dog friendly.
The streets of this neighbourhood are lined with eclectic shops that welcome dogs on their patios. There is also a dog park in the east, with plenty of green space for your pup to run around.
Things To Do with Your Dog in Leslieville
• Get your dog groomed at one of many pet salons in the area
• Enjoy long walks at the Maple Leaf Forever Park
• Go shopping with your buddy on a leash at the Gerrard India Bazaar
4 – High Park
This neighbourhood is home to a 400-acre park, which roughly translates to a run-all-you-can affair with your furry friend. The area is also known for its posh residential streets and plethora of trendy shops.
The High Park dog off-leash area is a great place to socialize with fellow dog owners while your pooch gets some exercise. The gorgeous backdrop helps set the perfect mood for an Instagram-worthy photo. This expansive park has plenty of trails for you and your dog to discover, so bring a camera.Things To Do with Your Dog in High Park
• Explore the expansive trails and forested areas of the park with your dog by your side
• Join one of the many off-leash events hosted at the park for other pet owners to enjoy with their dogs
• Bring your pup along on a picnic date in one of the many scenic park areas
5 – Mount Pleasant
We’d like to describe this neighbourhood as the best of two worlds: an urban and laid-back setting that appeals to pet owners and their dogs and a convenient location close to just about everything.
In terms of pet-friendly amenities, Mount Pleasant features the famous Sherwood Park, where an off-leash area for dogs is located. Furthermore, there are several pet boutiques and vet clinics should your buddy needs a quick visit.
Things To Do with Your Dog in Mount Pleasant
• Hang out with other pet owners at one of the regular meetups held at the park
• Take your pup along to one of the many dog-friendly brunch spots in the neighbourhood
• Shop for pet supplies at one of the local pet stores
There’s no shortage of great dog-friendly neighbourhoods in all of Toronto. As a resident, you must think of it as a blessing. No matter where you choose to live, there will always be a perfect neighbourhood for you and your furry friend. Not every city can say the same!